The submission window for the Summer 2017 issue ends May 31. It will re-open for the fall issue as soon as the summer issue is posted in mid-June. Thank you!
Hobo Camp Review is a tucked-away place where any writer, poet, artist, or storyteller can rest their weary feet and share a tale over a crackling fire. Travelers, troubadours, and transients of all shapes and sizes are welcomed, but your story doesn't have to be about the road, it can be about anything at all, so long as it has a sense of vagrancy, dark yet jovial and humble in the most outlaw manner possible. We like anything with a little sparkle and a little dust, shadows and angles, something that sounds good by the firelight with a train calling in the distance. Be original. Be honest. Be on the move. Be from anywhere. Be going somewhere. Remember what happens in between, and tell us all about it.
How to Submit:
2) Please, no attachments (artwork is okay to attach). Copy and paste your text into the body of the bindle.
3) Please send any combination of the following: one short story, one travel piece/essay, up to 4 poems, and/or up to 4 pieces of artwork/photos per submission bindle. This means you can send fiction and poetry and an article all in one email, but please don't send more than noted above for each.
4) Regarding fiction: the shorter the better. We typically don't publish fiction over 1,000 words.
5) We'd love to publish guest columns, reviews, interviews, etc. Please query first.
6) We accept offers to review books, but we can't guarantee a review will appear in HCR even if we accept, for a multitude of reasons. Time, taste, and temperament are all factors at play here.
7) Please no simultaneous submissions, and we no longer accept previously published work. Give us a new adventure!
9) Please allow at least two months to pass before assuming the camp moved on without you. Query after that. We promise to respond to every single submission, regardless of acceptance or rejection, so hold tight. If we miss you in the night, our apologies. Remind us and we'll take a look.
10) Title your submission like so: “Submission–Your Name” and send to to hobocampreview [at] hotmail.com. Include a short bio and any links to your website/blog. Please keep bios brief. We reserve the right to shorten bios.
Legal Notification: Upon publication in Hobo Camp Review, all rights revert to the author. However, Hobo Camp Review reserves the right to publish your submitted material in any future print version of the review. If your work was published in Hobo Camp Review first and is republished elsewhere, please mention us. That's awful kind of ya.
All work displayed at Hobo Camp Review is copyrighted, so don’t get sticky fingers or we’ll turn you in at the next town. We're serious. A hobo with a grudge and a lot of time on his hands isn't something you want to deal with.
Guidelines are subject to change, so check back now and then. Thanks for stopping by the Camp, and we'll see you on the road…