We are currently closed to all submissions while we work on our autumn issue. We will open again in the spring of 2021. Thanks!
Hobo Camp Review is a quiet, tucked-away place where any writer, poet, artist, or storyteller can rest their weary feet and share their story through poetry or prose over a crackling fire. Travelers and transients of all backgrounds and styles are welcomed, but your story doesn't have to be about the road, travel, or hobo life (although we enjoy that from time to time). It can be about anything at all, so long as it has a sense of vagrancy, a little sparkle and a little dust, shadows and angles, a hint of nostalgia, a desire for something more, anything that sounds great by a campfire with a train calling in the distance. Be original. Be honest. Be from anywhere. Be going somewhere. Remember what happens in-between and tell us all about it.
How to Submit
2) Place work in the body of the email.
3) Send up to four poems, and/or one story/essay/travelogue.
4) Regarding prose: the shorter the better. We love flash, and we typically don't publish anything over 1,000-ish words.
5) We prefer no simultaneous submissions. Our window is only open briefly and we aim to respond quickly.
6) We are open to previously published work, but we prefer it if you give us a new adventure!
7) We're delighted to accept offers to review your book, but we can't guarantee a review will appear in HCR even if we accept, for a multitude of reasons. Time, taste, and temperament are all factors at play here.
8) While there's no payment, we try to give out cash awards and prizes when we're able to do so. This happens at irregular intervals.
9) We promise to respond to every single submission, regardless of acceptance or rejection, so hold tight. If we miss you in the night, our apologies. Remind us and we'll take a look.
10) Please send subs to hobocampreview [at] gmail [dot] com. (We no longer check the old Hotmail address.) Please include a bio less than 75 words and any links to your website/blog you'd like us to post. Help us promote your work!
Legal Notification: Upon publication in Hobo Camp Review, all rights revert to the author. However, Hobo Camp Review reserves the right to publish your accepted material in any future print version of the review.
If your work was published in Hobo Camp Review first and is republished elsewhere, a blog, book, or other magazine, please mention us. That's awful kind of you, and kinda rude not to.
All work displayed at Hobo Camp Review is copyrighted, so don’t get sticky fingers or we’ll turn you in at the next town. We're serious. A hobo with a grudge and a lot of time on his hands isn't something you want to deal with.
Guidelines are subject to change, so check back now and then. Thanks for stopping by the Camp, and we'll see you on the road…