Dylan Mitchell

A SUNRISE SHOULDN'T SOUND LIKE THIS

The noise was not within: The trees outside
were startled awake, by the menacing
sounds of mangled streets and broken blocks,
as numbered trucks and cranes destroyed the calm
face of a deserted boulevard at dawn.
I could hear their thunderous advance,
as I abandoned sleep, and stumbled toward
the open window. Man-made progression
was happening outside. The machines moved
like angry animals, eating silence whole.





BIRTHDAY LETTER

Fall is almost over.
Last night
(although you condemned it),
I read Ted Hughes' Birthday Letters,
and liked it a lot.
After I'd finished,
the soft rain returned,
gently bringing me back
to the hard place I'd escaped from:
I am mending. I am mending.
Yesterday, a kind
stranger spoke to me in the market,
and I did not turn away.
I'm beginning to see it was you.
The old crushed season is almost over;
I'll no longer mourn its early passing.


 

Dylan Mitchell's poems have appeared in numerous journals and magazines. His most recent book is, 100 Men I Have Slept With (And Other Poems). It is available on Amazon.com. Several of his poems, essays, and book reviews can be had for free online: www.roughpoet.blogspot.com. He lives alone in
Portland, Oregon.



No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!