Corey Mesler

The Return


I traveled a great distance.
I stood next to your
grave and listened to your
breathing. I was
redeemed by the blood. I
found a note written
years ago from the country
where I had traveled.
I wrote you with a heart
full of smoke. I wrote you
with the hard words, the
ones I used there for the final
time. I stood next to
your grave and heard you
whisper, Lean closer.
The sickness in my arms wants
you now, wants your last agenda.
 
 




Gunfight at the Ok Corey


The sky is the color of the underside
of feeding mammals. The
face looking at you is the face
dreamed of only last night. I step into
the street and raise my glass
but the shadow is quicker and I go
thirsty. I only wanted to get to you on
this day of reign and clout. I only
wanted to say that I love you, against
all the odds, against the fastest shadows.
 
 
 
 
 
COREY MESLER has published in numerous journals and anthologies. He is the author of five novels, 3 books of short stories, 2 full-length collections of poetry, as well as numerous chapbooks of poetry and prose. He and his wife own Burke’s Book Store in Memphis TN. He can be found at www.coreymesler.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!