Kevin Ridgeway

Baby, Please Console Me


the leggy young brunette 
mortuary consultant 
paced the only slightly air-conditioned
waiting area for the grieving families
of the recently deceased 
in a mini skirt

taking my mind off of which 
personalized keepsake mini urn 
I was going to carry my 
mother's ashes 
around in.  



The Beginning of Forever


she had a 
brain aneurism
and she kept saying
to the paramedics

I'm okay, I'm okay

when I got the call
I knew it was the end,
because she spent 
so much time 
and energy
during her 
last year alive 
trying to explain 
to me with 
her final breaths 
that she had 
little time left,
and I had better 
get my 
shit together

we all watched
her slowly 
fade away
in a hospital
overlooking 
Sunset Boulevard,
her mind bleeding,
gone

and my insanity
still unfolding.





Kevin Ridgeway is from Southern California, where he lives and writes.  His Pushcart Prize and Best of the Net nominated work has most recently appeared or is forthcoming in Chiron Review, BIG HAMMER, Nerve Cowboy, San Pedro River Review, Right Hand Pointing, Lummox and The Mas Tequila Review, among others.  His latest chapbooks are On the Burning Shore (Arroyo Seco Press) and Riding Off into that Strange Technicolor Sunset (The Weekly Weird Monthly).  

No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!