An HCR Interview with Sarah Frances Moran


Sarah Frances Moran is the Founder/Editor of the incredible literary powerhouse, Yellow Chair Review, and she takes a few minutes out of her schedule to pull to the side of the road and answer a few of our humble questions. Check out her full bio below. Thanks for stopping by, Sarah! 


1. What is the best thing you’ve read so far in 2016, be it poetry, fiction, nonfiction, or something else?

Logen Cure’s Letters To Petrarch.  It’s this beautifully written set of poems about a love.  It’s written in the form of canonical hours and takes place in the space of a day.  It was one of those reads that just left me kind of speechless.  The depth of it but also the simplicity.  I highly recommend it. 


2.  What was your last “writing revelation,” a process or idea that made your writing easier, bolder, fresher, and/or more productive?

This is a tough one.  I’ve always sort of been the type to just write whatever came to my mind.  No particular focus or discipline.  In the last year I’ve tried very hard to discipline myself to write to certain topics.  That’s not to say I ignore the urge to write about other things but I’m practicing “forcing myself” so-to-speak, to address certain things. 
  
Currently I’m writing a poem based off every card in the Mexican bingo game, La LoterĂ­a.  The focus of each poem is on my culture, my lack of culture, my desire to find a place in my culture being of mixed race.  Sometimes that’s addresses loosely and sometimes directly.  I’ve only done 6 so far.  I have a ways to go.

3. What place (city/town/region/room/middle of nowhere) has been an inspiration on your writing, and why?

Texas pops up in my writing the most.  It’s where I’m from.  It’s a place I both love and hate.  It houses my family.  It has been home to my family for three generations or so now.  Being of Mexican descent, lesbian and liberal it comes with its own set of disappointments and frustrations.  It’s an interesting dynamic to feel both connected and disconnected to place; to find both the beauty and ugly. 

Trees pop up in my writing a lot.  In fact one of my chapbooks releasing soon is titled “Evergreen.”  In the title poem a tree acts as a turnkey in the prison where I house the people who’ve hurt me. 

4. What new project are you working on, and what’s the driving force/inspiration behind it?

I mentioned up above that I’m writing poems based on La LoterĂ­a.  I’ve been wanting to write more about my cultural, about being mixed-race, not knowing Spanish, not really knowing where I belong culturally. 

It was a game I grew up playing with my family and I was always fascinated by the images on the cards.  I thought it was a perfect way to keep me focused, interested and a way to pay homage to something I culturally grew up with.  There are 54 cards in the game.  So I’m hoping to write 54 poems. 

5. You’re on the road, walking and hopping trains cross country with three other artists, of any area and medium, of any level of fame, success, or anonymity. Who do you choose, and why?

•  Iva Montgomery who is an artist in her own right.  I can’t imagine doing anything without her.  She finds beauty in the most mundane things.  She makes me laugh no matter what the circumstances and can discuss the deepest of subjects.
•  Stevie Nicks.  The stories she could tell!  We wouldn’t need anything to carry around to listen to music.  She’d just sing for us.
•  Langston Hughes.  Because well, he’s… Langston Hughes.  “I have discovered in life there are ways of getting almost anywhere you want to go, if you really want to go”  I highly recommend his autobiographies The Big Sea and I Wander as I Wonder.  He epitomizes the travelling poet.
•  Andrew Lincoln because one word: zombies.





Sarah Frances Moran is a writer, editor, animal lover, videogamer, queer Latina. She thinks Chihuahuas should rule the world and prefers their company to people 90% of the time. Her chapbook Evergreen will be released this summer from Weasel Press. She is Editor/Founder of Yellow Chair Review. You may reach her at www.sarahfrancesmoran.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!