Edward Ferri, Jr.

It Started At The End Of The Driveway


The first yellow almost horizontal shafts of the rising sun
were lancing through the ancient sycamore branches that I
used to climb and swing from as I reached the end of the dirt
driveway. I felt a tinge of excitement as my wheels touched
Uvas Road that morning, the old rural road that had always
brought me home to the only place that I had ever known.
I sensed a tingle from the handlebar grips like when young
smooth hands first touch and hold each other on a first date.

Tent, tarp and sleeping bag all crammed inside my Dad’s
old WWII Navy duffle bag lashed down tight on a simple
flat luggage rack. None of that ape hanger high handlebar
Easy Rider Hollywood sissy bar chopper crap for me. This
was a two lane open road warrior motorcycle I had prepared
for the long haul, day after day, week after week, month after
month, rain or shine and even, as I learned weeks later and
three galactic asphalt time zones away, the Adirondack snow.

Shiny black saddle bags meticulously packed and
organized brimmed full as I short shifted up through
the clunky gears, rolling easy on the throttle, (CLUNK),
keeping the revs down, (CLUNK), in the throaty torque
zone of that big bore boxer twin, (CLUNK), in the crisp
morning air that was smooth as glass, (CLUNK).

I still remember that... the air smooth as glass. No head wind,
no tail wind, no wind turbulence at all. The birth of freedom,
emerging from a long dusty driveway, inhaling its first gasp of
God’s given glassy air as I hit that old narrow chip seal country
road. It was then, that early morning, that the open road became
my new lover and my new address. And lucky for me, the open
road never turns down a properly prepared motorcycle.




BIO: Edward Ferri, Jr. grew up on a "non profit" farm in the rain shadow of the Santa Cruz Mountains where "Bailing wire, gumption, and spit" were the "apps" of the day. He is a strong believer in the spirit of Boo Radley and he still savors lessons learned during the “missing years” lived on the roads of North America with a motorcycle that needed to be kicked hard after having its carburators tickled. If you give a hoot, he is a graduate of San Jose State University and has been published in Lucidity Poetry Journal, Muddy River Poetry Review, Eskimo Pie, Still Crazy, Agave Literary Magazines and forthcoming in Main Street Rag.


No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!