Submissions are currently closed and will re-open in spring 2024.
Hobo Camp Review is a quiet, tucked-away place where any poet, artist, or storyteller can rest their weary feet and share their story over a crackling fire. Travelers and transients of all backgrounds and styles are welcomed. Share something with a sense of vagrancy, a little sparkle and a little dust, something that shows your mileage, your shadows and angles, and offers a hint of nostalgia, anything that sounds great by a campfire with a train calling in the distance. Be original. Be honest. Be from anywhere. Be going somewhere. Remember what happens in between and tell us all about it.
How to Submit
- One submission per issue.
- Place your work and bio in the body of the email. Please, no attachments unless it is art or is by request.
- Send up to four poems, and/or one story or essay in your bindle. Regarding prose: the shorter the better.
- For art/photos, attach four or five pieces you think might fit the open call.
- No simultaneous submissions, please. We keep our window open for a very short time and we aim to respond within that period. We respond to every single submission, but if we miss you in the night, our apologies. Remind us and we'll take a look ASAP.
- Submissions sent outside of our open calls posted here will not be read.
- We are open to previously published work, but we prefer if you give us a new adventure.
- If you appeared in the last issue, please wait an issue or two before taking a spot by the fire. We'd like to keep mixing in new voices.
- We're delighted to accept offers to review your book, but we can't guarantee a review will appear in HCR even if we accept, for a multitude of reasons. Time, taste, and temperament are all factors at play here.
- While there's no payment, we try to give out cash awards and prizes when we're able to do so. This happens at irregular intervals.
- Please send subs to email@example.com (**We no longer check the old Hotmail address**)
Legal Notification: Upon publication in Hobo Camp Review, all rights revert to the author. However, Hobo Camp Review reserves the right to publish your accepted material in any future print version of the review.
If your work was published in Hobo Camp Review first and is republished elsewhere, be it a blog, book, or other magazine, please mention us. That's awful kind of you, and it's kinda rude not to.
All work displayed at Hobo Camp Review is copyrighted, so don’t get sticky fingers or we’ll turn you in at the next town. We're serious. A hobo with a grudge and a lot of time on his hands isn't something you want to deal with.
Guidelines are subject to change, so check back now and then. Thanks for stopping by the Camp, and we'll see you on the road…