Submissions will open on February 1 for the Hobo Camp Review 15th Anniversary Award Issue.
- Please follow the usual guidelines further below on this page.
- No theme, no fee.
- Subs are open Feb 1 through Feb 29.
- All submissions will be entered into the contest, with finalists collected by James Duncan into a document with no biographical information included for Rachel Nix to judge blind and choose her three favorite pieces. Those three will receive $15 each and special mention in the issue.
- The chosen pieces will be announced when the issue goes live. Payments will go out shortly after.
- Payments will be made in Venmo, Cash App, PayPal, or by check (US residents only for the last option). If you're unable to utilize one of those payment options, we will happily donate the money to a local shelter or food pantry in your name.
- The awards are one-time payments. If the chosen piece is later republished in the HCR 20th Anniversary print issue, there is no repayment. 100% of the proceeds from those anthologies go to charity. HCR makes nothing from them.
- The 15th Anniversary Issue is slated to go live in early April. Thank you!
Hobo Camp Review is a quiet, tucked-away place where any poet, artist, or storyteller can rest their weary feet and share their story over a crackling fire. Travelers and transients of all backgrounds and styles are welcomed. Share something with a sense of vagrancy, a little sparkle and a little dust, something that shows your mileage and offers a hint of nostalgia, anything that sounds great by a campfire with a train calling in the distance. Be honest. Be from anywhere. Be going somewhere. Remember what happens in between and tell us all about it.
- Please send only one submission per issue.
- Please place your work in the body of an email.
- Send up to three poems, or one story/essay. Regarding prose: the shorter the better. Flash fiction is ideal.
- For art/photos, attach four or five pieces you think might fit the open call.
- No simultaneous submissions, please. We keep our window open for a very short time and we aim to respond to every single within that period. If we miss you in the night, our apologies. Remind us and we'll take a look ASAP.
- Submissions sent outside of our open calls posted here will not be read.
- We are open to previously published work, but we prefer if you give us a new adventure.
- If you appeared in the previous issue, please wait an issue or two before taking a spot by the fire. We'd like to keep mixing in new voices.
- We're delighted to accept offers to review your book, but we can't guarantee a review will appear in HCR even if we accept, for a multitude of reasons. Time, taste, and temperament are all factors at play here.
- While there's no payment, we try to give out cash awards and prizes when we're able to do so. This happens at irregular intervals.
- Please send subs to email@example.com (**We no longer check the old Hotmail address**)
Legal Notification: Upon publication in Hobo Camp Review, all rights revert to the author. However, Hobo Camp Review reserves the right to publish your accepted material in any future print version of the review.
If your work was published in Hobo Camp Review first and is republished elsewhere, be it a blog, book, or other magazine, please mention us. That's awful kind of you, and it's kinda rude not to.
All work displayed at Hobo Camp Review is copyrighted, so don’t get sticky fingers or we’ll turn you in at the next town. We're serious. A hobo with a grudge and a lot of time on his hands isn't something you want to deal with.
Guidelines are subject to change, so check back now and then. Thanks for stopping by the Camp, and we'll see you on the road…