Joe Cottonwood

My First Billionaire

 
I’m just a hitchhiker can’t complain but
he’s squinting unfolding paper maps 
swerving like a mad carnival ride
right foot on the gas, left on the brake 
in a two-step dance whoosh-fast clunk-slow
up I-280 in a rental Toyota. 
 
“Where you looking for?” I ask. 
“Some golf course I forget the name.” 
He wears a tam-o’-shanter and flannel pants, 
says he’s from Tokyo, just flew in.
Says they have good trains and subways 
and why can’t Frisco? 
 
Says he’s learning golf because 
he figured out a philosophy of life 
that money, you know, once you’ve got 
three billion you should spend it 
instead of trying for three more. 
“You have three billion?” I ask.
“I think so.” He laughs. “When 
I was a baby, they bombed my city. 
Now they ask me to join their club.”
 
Lets me off at 19th Avenue where I can 
catch a streetcar. Studying a map, 
fingering the steering wheel with one pinkie, 
he’s off. Somewhere. I want to say 
Beware of hitchhikers. You’re weirdly naïve. 
But I can only speak to myself.



Joe Cottonwood has repaired hundreds of houses to support his writing habit in the Santa Cruz Mountains of California. His latest book is Random Saints. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!