Melanie Browne

Segue to Hemingway

 
We kissed behind
the theatre
where you
took tickets
such a long
time ago
Me in a pink
dress
you, poor,
and proud
to get
the discounts
 
Your parents
moving
from house
to house
like it was
the most normal
thing in the
world
 
Your mom,
a good one
to you and
your brothers,
 
read those
fantasy books
which I mocked
inside my head,
 
a literary snob
at the age of 17
I thought I was
special because
I read Hemingway,
a man who would
have burned
 
those books to
roast some pheasants
with a dry martini

No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!