William Taylor Jr

Like the Rest of Us

 

Sometimes I get mad

when people stop

being beautiful, 

even if it's mostly

not their fault.

You can only go on

for so long, I know,

no matter how tough

you think you are,

what with time and death

and the general sorrow

and madness of a life

chewing at you night and day.

Some folks have a good run,

sure, but still I am sad

when they eventually falter

and fail and become

like the rest of us.

I want the aging rock star

to bust out with one more

brilliant record,

the old novelist to find his way

through one more book

that burns and wails and tells

the terrible truth of things.

I want the poet on his deathbed

to scrawl one last line

that will save me

in the way I can't

save myself.

 

 

 

 

But for Now

 

What the world asks of us is absurd.

 

I sit at a window drinking wine

watching traffic gently flow up

and down Franklin St.

 

The Christmas tree still blinks

and shines even though we're a week

into January.

 

Maybe tomorrow I'll take it down

but I like the lights.

 

Few could tell you what holds things

together anymore, or why.

 

You can all but hear the center giving way.

 

I play sad records on the turntable

as whatever's left of things

sighs and sways to the rhythm

of the first broken heart.

 

The moon holds a final secret

as a woman's voice drifts

beneath it like a fading song.

 

I am glad for these few

hours of peace, this soft

and unremarkable poem.

 

I'll stay up too late as if

it might save me somehow.

 

Tomorrow a hangover,

half-assed regret

and a wondering of what

it is I've made of my life.

 

But for now

these lights,

this music.

 

 

 

 

 

A Pretty Girl Reading a Volume of Poems by Charles Bukowski

 

Tonight on the train

on the way home

from work

 

a pretty girl was reading

a volume of poems by

Charles Bukowski.

 

I thought it was nice

that pretty girls still occasionally

read the works of dead poets

while riding on trains

 

and I thought of how

I should sit down and work

at my own poems

 

even if I'm tired

 

so that I might collect

them into books

 

so that someday when I'm gone

pretty girls on trains

might read them

 

and someone might see

and think it's nice.

 

 

 

 

Notes from the Hospital Cafe

 

My partner is having major surgery and I am in the hospital

cafe  drinking coffee, reading a book and waiting.

Other writers might use the opportunity

to compose a poignant piece about the experience -.

profound and heartfelt musings on love,

death, a bit of regret perhaps, but ultimately

some combination of resignation and hope.

I tried, don't get me wrong, but it's just not in me.

I know only how to write about this cafe

and how it's nice to be allowed to sit inside it

and drink my coffee at a leisurely pace.

A few years back I had heart surgery

and I was in the ICU for a week and there was

a brief period in which I truly thought I might die.

When I didn't, I figured at I'd at least

get some good writing out of it.

But it just fell flat, stillborn,

my busted heart just wasn't interested.

I just wanted to get the hell out of there

and not think about it anymore.

My partner will be in surgery for at least

another 3 hours. I love them very much

and I hope it's going to be okay.

I'm going to find a bathroom now

and then walk to the comic book shop

and hope they have something good.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 The Wonder of It

 

Some faces you will carry for the rest of your days


some things the bones cannot unlearn


her memory another cross

to ferry through the fire

 

there's a point where sorrow

becomes something beyond itself

 

bigger than god and outside

our ability to define

 

but I tell you there is another realm

in which love is a stone

 

that my weakness breaks upon

like rotten wood

 

where beauty survives the dawn

 

and we walk entwined

beneath the sun

 

laughing at the wonder of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!