Kerry Trautman

First Kiss in a Movie Theater Parking Lot

 
It seemed like he was never
going to do it
so I rushed my blood up
and threw my arms around him
I don’t remember where exactly
because it was
a black-night-and-sodium-light blur
just then, and I pushed my mouth
to his, and he did kiss back
I’m sure I remember that right
he did
but then shrunk down
mumbled wow
and never
did it again
so I didn’t either
That was the part where sad
string music would play
if it was a serious kind of movie
or angsty pop if it was
John Hughes or Cameron Crow
directing him to shuffle to his car
motion for me to get in
drive me home in dark quiet
while the audience glanced
at each other in pity,
 
sharing a box of Junior Mints.

 




Breathless

 
Watching again at forty-five—not a nineteen-
year-old envisioning drifting from canvas to
 
convertible to mattress, when all the shades
of grey lurched forward, distinguishing themselves
 
in cigarette smoke and bedsheet folds—now I wonder
just what the streets of Paris smelled like through
 
Belmondo’s nose, craving the silk drapery of discovery,
surprise of art from another mind, like finding silvery
 
tinsel static-stuck inside sweater sleeve
unworn since last Christmas. The young have luxury
 
of shock, each channel-flip, page-turn or link-click
switches lightbulbs in shadowed insides. Everything is
 
new, like sips of gin brushfire or sweet cordial.
What could I sip now that my tongue won’t
 
already recognize? Somebody please
make me something to make me gasp.
 
 
 
 

 
 
Ohio born and raised, Kerry Trautman is a poetry editor for the journal Red Fez. Her work has appeared in various anthologies and journals, including Slippery Elm, Paper & Ink, Disappointed Housewife, Limp Wrist, South Florida Poetry Journal, Rejection Letters, Thimble, Midwestern Gothic, and Gasconade Review. Kerry's books are Things That Come in Boxes (King Craft Press 2012,) To Have Hoped (Finishing Line Press 2015,) Artifacts (NightBallet Press 2017,) To be Nonchalantly Alive (Kelsay Books 2020,) and Marilyn: Self-Portrait, Oil on Canvas (Gutter Snob Books 2022.)

No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!