Franca Brilliant

Long Time Companion



Give me the patient moon

the little sister spit into the galaxy

before Earth was the fecund home.

She waxes and wanes uncomplaining

her orbit matching our elliptical

as we spin through the unending dark.

 

Give me the faithful moon

seen or unseen she pulls us

swinging the oceans back and forth

as steadfast a lover as the cosmos allows

complete in her devotion, her knowing--

gravity will keep us together.

 

Give me the generous moon

reflecting light from a shared star

offering all her beautiful faces

the glowing disk at dusk

the pregnant crescent at midnight

the silver thumbnail at dawn.

 

Give me the moon of our dreams

the huntress, the cheese, the man

in the moon, the blue, the flower,

the wolf, the harvest, the new,

all the naming to capture her mystery

her always familiar and never the same. 



BIO: I came back to poetry about thirteen years ago and although sitting down to write is never not scary, when the words flow it feels like nothing else matters. I published my first poem in Hobo Camp Review at the ripe age of 60; I'm older than that now.  I’m not Italian but my name is—think Franca rhyming with Bianca.   


No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!