Joshua R. Wood

 Along State Route 129



The sun rests gently on the gullies and ridges

of the orange dirt and shale road.

It’s clipped and frayed by the cedars

before it joins  the basin of the river gulches.

 

The frigid waters of the old Snake river

pass through Hells Gate on the way to Paradise

and quench the elk and the woodland caribou

southward on state route 129.

 

For one moment I can sense the gateway

to all things, where the sky drapes

a white-cloud window over the furthest reaches

of eternity, and the sun proclaims

 

the beauty of God. As I drive I feel small,

and I feel infinite, broken like the river on the rock,

softened like the rock in the river,

honed by the endless rush and the peaceful turn

of the earth.




BIO: My name is Joshua Ryan Wood. I am saved by grace, a wannabe vagabond, recently disconnected from most of my life, searching for new roads. I enjoy the outdoors, and I get bored when things aren't changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!