Michael Owens

Accidental Photographer

 

They were struggling to take a selfie

I was walking by unencumbered

so volunteered, I became their wedding photographer

 

Today was a reconfirmation of the formal

ceremony some five years ago.  They gathered

here every year to reenact the important event

 

Their one request was for a photo with and without

the the two year old toddler clinging to their

legs so I held the child and took the photo

 

I lived close by at the time and this small

spot on the sidewalk under a spreading oak

was comfortable to me and special to them

 

The next year my presence was part plan

part accident as I suspected they came

every year on this one day to take a photo

 

Happenstance brought me back the next year

as I had moved away and they had a second

child that needed to be held

 

Today marks twenty five for them and the photo

has the first grandchild among the collection

that gathers around the tree.  

 

Fortunately they have never taken a photo

of me, I just arrive at 10 am and they are waiting

I have long forgotten their names and they mine.

But we are best friends ten minutes every year.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!