Jay Orlando

A Letter to Saint Paul


Look, brother, we are both complicated men.

We have both made some mistakes.

I will not list them. We have both had it

with Empire, changed our names,

and put our faith in strange visions.

I am trying to build a bridge, here, between us.

You said many things that I agree with

and many more that I disagree with.

I understand – you could not have known

that they would stick those letters in the Bible.

Like my grandfather, you were a product

of your time. Like my grandfather, you had

a bit of a stick up your ass regarding women,

for example, and in the last several thousand

years this has become a bit of a problem.

The church fractures along fault lines forged

in your words. Entire governments champion

oppression based on their opinions of your

opinions. I know you could not have

foreseen this, you were just a man, and not

even a prophet. I honor your faith even

as I critique your methods.

 

Perhaps, if you and Peter are on speaking

terms, you could have him ring the Pope

from his rocky tomb. It is not too late for

things to change. The environmentalists

say we are living on borrowed time and

it would be nice to get it right before the

seas boil.

 

Come visit me soon. We’ll hit up a punk show.

I’ll teach you to cut loose. In the pit,

you’ll see God

 

all over again.



Jay Orlando is a trans, queer, folk punk poet hailing from the region of Pennsylvania where the Appalachians kiss the Rust Belt. He has recently been published in Trailer Park Quarterly, After Happy Hour Review, and Red Branch Review. His most recent chapbook, A Book of Queer Prayer (2025) is available now from Last Picked Books. When not writing Jay enjoys playing games (video and board), practicing guitar, and singing karaoke. You can follow him and his adventures on Instagram @jaybird.orlando



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!