Bridget Clawson

Tiny Ghost Bundle


Do you remember the Heartbreaker concert in 1990?  It is always with me since you died.  Today I arrived at the coroner’s office to collect your death certificate.  I told the clerk your name – such a painful sound, my beloved. She asked me if I heard the news that Tom Petty just died, and she wept.  Other clerks were discussing a tiny ghost bundle named Baby Sullivan.  They mocked the mercurial coroner for storing it in his office temporarily due to lack of space; first clerk shouted shut the fuck up and dabbed her bleeding eyes with her white cuff.  I wanted you there, to sing to them Sleep tight babyWe’re alright for now.  Outside, a horizontal hail-and-wind storm whipped me about, bent me over and blew your certificate into the Pacific.  An angel-winged gingko tree sprung out of the earth and landed onto the courthouse playground - scattering pieces of nested hairless robins.  Sleep tight baby.  Are you trapped between extreme bravery and atrocities in an afterworld?  There blows my very own soul - a faint and murdered blotch of black smoking soul dancing with the ghost of Baby Sullivan to incantations of your limbo.  I remember you said Petty was looking my way and we both believed it and screamed to the planets.  I am running now to chase after your death papers…for your murmurings, dreams, cold slab facts, your skeletal parchment cadaver: Sleep tight, baby.  We’re alright for now. 





Bridget Clawson writes in EdmondsWashington and is a rockhound.  She has been published in literary journals and has written two books about her encounters with grief and starting life over.


No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!