Brian Harman


Document of a Lonely Sound
-after The Trinity Sessions, Cowboy Junkies


Days dreaming for gold,
pan sifting pyrite under old Western shadows,
all seems solemn,
no light remaining
but what is hidden in my heart,
love running downstream,
blue moons revisited,
I really don’t want to be a lone miner anymore,
but if winter kills me
before the heartbreak is over,
I will be that misguided, fallen angel,
in that helpless hole of hope,
sack tied to a stick over the shoulder,
weight of survival in the air of death,
bury 200 miles within,
choose the harmonica over the church,
lonely sounds I know,
no one but myself can save me from destitution,
no swig for pain, no moonlit flesh
to replace sadness,
hurt being the balance to joy,
I understand and walk midnight
to hold on to the few flecks
of reality I’ve kept and found,
to strike gold or drop everything
and stake claim on my voice
like land and horses,
I will leave this world my document,
my genuine affection
in the river of blood and future ashes,
dreaming my dreams with tears
for sweet Jane to never be lonesome.




Bio: Brian Harman received his MFA in Creative Writing from Cal State University, Long Beach. His poems have appeared or are forthcoming in Chiron Review, Nerve Cowboy, Redshift, Vamp Cat, Misfit Magazine, and elsewhere. He loves craft beer, creating music playlists, writing poetry past midnight, and is proud to represent his hometown of Yorba Linda, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!