Laura Cherry

After Moving My Son into His First Apartment

 

Winding the moose-roads from Montreal

        to Boston, I’m wondering

if life is a platter or a knot,

 

and if that knot’s in my shoulders

        right now, squinting at the blurry

wet highway, trusting the GPS

 

and the B52s to deliver me from evil

        and Sunday night traffic. My comfort is

snipped into pieces and tossed

 

like confetti, a kid here, a friend there,

        lover in the passenger seat

helping me stay in my lane,

 

bless him. I want my dear ones

        neatly folded into their lives

like origami cranes,

 

peaceful in themselves

        and symbols of peace. But I know

they’re just like me: sad

 

and hopeful, confused as all get-out. Tonight

        I’m getting out of Dodge, dodging

raindrops, wishing my wipers

 

worked better and my wishes were

        horses to ride

like the beggar I am.





Iota


We named the microwave Iota B. Happy

because she sings a little tune instead

of beeping when her work is finished,

and so cheerful every time – often

it’s the best news I get all day,

kid now off to college, just me and the cats

and the microwave and the world

with its many trials and few songs.

How much more can I carry?

Just a tiny bit, Iota says.

Iota says, your food is done.

 




In the Morning I Read Jack Gilbert


In the morning I read Jack Gilbert,

one poem a day, and the must from the pages

prickles in my throat. My sentences begin

to align themselves. Simple, declarative.

I grow less afraid to bring my body

into the air. I tug the old quilt

across the bed. I part the white curtains

and open the door. I even find a fondness

for the self who left several books open

in the bathroom, abandoned where they lay,

and two flat shoes caressing one another

with the affection of long companionship. 




Island

 

Sometimes a shipwreck is an island.

Sometimes an island is a home.

 

Sometimes a home is a prison.

Sometimes a prison is a dream.

 

Sometimes a dream is an omen.

Sometimes an omen is a lie.

 

Sometimes a lie is the last straw.

Sometimes the last straw is a blessing.

 

Sometimes a blessing is an affront.

Sometimes an affront is a lesson.

 

Sometimes a lesson is a journey.

Sometimes a journey is a shipwreck.




Bio: I am the author of the collection Haunts (Cooper Dillon Books) and the chapbooks Two White Beds (Minerva Rising) and What We Planted (Providence Athenaeum). I co-edited the anthology Poem, Revised (Marion Street Press) with Robert Hartwell Fiske, and my work has been published in journals including The Glacier, Ekphrastic Review, Los Angeles Review, and DMQ Review. I earned an MFA from the Warren Wilson Program for Writers. I work as a technical writer and live near Boston.


No comments:

Post a Comment


The views and opinions expressed throughout belong to the individual artists and may or may not coincide with those of the other artists (or editors) represented within the magazine. Hobo Camp Review supports a free-for-all atmosphere of artistic expression, so enjoy the poetry, fiction, opinions, and artwork within, read with an open mind, and comment wisely. Thanks for stopping by the Camp!